Earlier this year my friends and I decided to road trip to southern Utah and Arizona. Zion National Park was one of the top places we HAD to visit. Zion is an adventurer's paradise with tons of hiking, canyoneering, and sightseeing everywhere you go. Angels Landing was a hike we had to do along with a few others we had in mind. It is voted one of the most dangerous hikes in America. Danger you say? I like to live on the edge so why the hell not and defy death on this stunning yet dangerous hike? Angels Landing is a 1488 foot rock formation in Zion National Park with a total elevation of 5790 feet. Walters Wiggles is a series of 21 switchbacks when you hit the halfway point of the journey. The hike is only 2.4 miles long that is roughly a 2-hour ascent and after you soak in the stunning valley views, it is a short 45 minute "walking jog" down. To access the hike, you get dropped off at the grotto by the shuttle which is the only way to navigate throughout the park. After the hike, you can finish it off with a refreshing dip in emerald pools that is just off the path before you get back to the bridge to cross the creek. To date, this has been my favorite hike and I've barely scratched the surface of all the hikes I want to do. I give you my reasons this is a bucket list hike you must do in your lifetime.
- Views. Hikes can get boring if they are flat without a view. I am a sucker for a view and I will do whatever it takes to capture that moment. This hike, on the other hand, has incredible views the whole time. There is no other place in the world that offers the kind of views it has to offer.
- It was a challenge. I'm always up for a challenge so I welcomed this hike with open arms. It may be short but in the heat, it gets a tad bit harder.
- Danger. The thrill of knowing you could plummet almost 1500 feet to your death with one careless slip tickled me the right way. People have died on this hike.If you have a fear of heights, then this is a hike to conquer those fears. Bring your friends to help motivate you to do so.
- Friends. My friends made it a hike ill never forget. Without them, it still would have been awesome but enjoying experiences with awesome friends make it that much better. Thanks, JD, Brittany, and Ashley for being dope!
- Bucket List. Checked off this bad boy.
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
Also, Please check out my facebook page here and give it a like and click that share button!
Without further ado, 50 GoPro images I captured during my hike of Angels Landing. Enjoy!
“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way, you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins